If you have ever spent hours perfecting your hairstyle, only to have it go flat or frizzy within minutes, you are not alone. Many of us struggle with keeping our hair in place, especially in humid conditions or during windy days. Thankfully, there is a magical product that hairstylists swear by – hair spray. Hair spray is a styling product that helps hold your hair in place, creating a long-lasting and controlled hairstyle. It is a must-have item in every hairstylist’s arsenal and has become a staple in our daily hair care routines as well. So, what exactly is hair spray? In simple terms, it is a solution that contains a combination of polymers, solvents, propellants, and conditioning agents.
What Does Hair Spray Do?
The primary function of hair spray is to provide hold, ensuring your hairstyle stays intact for longer periods. It achieves this by forming a thin film on your hair, which helps hold each strand in place. Hair spray comes in different strengths, ranging from light to maximum hold. Light hold sprays are perfect for adding a subtle grip to hairstyles without leaving a stiff and crunchy feel. Maximum hold sprays, on the other hand, are ideal for elaborate hairstyles that need to withstand long hours of wear. Additionally, hair sprays can also add volume and texture to your hair. They can be used as a texturizing spray to give your hair a tousled and beachy look, or as a root lifter to add volume and lift to your hair at the roots.
Types of Hair Sprays
There are different types of hair sprays available on the market, each designed to cater to specific styling needs.
- Finishing Spray: This type of hair spray is used at the end of styling to set and hold the final look. It provides a long-lasting hold and keeps your hairstyle in place throughout the day or evening.
- Working Spray: Working sprays are more flexible and allow you to manipulate and shape your hair during the styling process. They provide a light hold, making it easier to create and maintain your desired style.
- Volumizing Spray: If you are looking to boost the volume of your hair, a volumizing hair spray is the way to go. It adds lift and thickness to your hair, giving it a fuller and more voluminous look.
- Texturizing Spray: Texturizing sprays are great for adding texture and definition to your hair. They can give your hair a tousled and effortlessly chic appearance, making it perfect for creating messy updos or enhancing natural waves.
- Thermal Protectant Spray: When using heat styling tools, it is important to protect your hair from damage. Thermal protectant sprays not only shield your hair from heat, but they also provide a flexible hold, making them an essential tool in styling with hot tools.
Hair sprays can also come in different formulations, such as aerosol, pump, or spritz bottles. Each type of packaging offers its own convenience and application method.
Tips for Using Hair Spray
To make the most out of your hair spray, here are a few tips:
- Apply hair spray from a distance of about 12 inches to evenly distribute the product.
- Start with a small amount of hair spray and build up as needed to avoid excessive stiffness.
- Comb through your hair after applying hair spray to distribute the product even further and ensure uniform hold.
- To avoid a sticky or crunchy feel, look for hair sprays that offer a flexible hold or have a lightweight formula.
- Before applying heat to your hair, ensure it is completely dry as hair spray can become sticky and damage your hair if exposed to high temperatures.
Hair spray is not just a finishing touch to your hairstyle, but a powerful styling tool that helps keep your hair in place and adds texture and volume. With various types and formulations available, it is important to choose a hair spray that suits your hair type and styling needs. So next time you want to ensure your hairstyle stays put, don’t forget to reach for your trusty hair spray!